SRA APPOINTS GROWER REPRESENTATIVES TO BURDEKIN REGIONAL ADVISORY AND ADOPTION COMMITTEE
Anthony Curro, SRA Regional Co-ordinator Burdekin has announced that grower representatives for local districts to sit on the “Regional Advisory and Adoption Committee” (RAAC) for the Burdekin region as part of the new SRA Adoption Strategy have now been appointed.
Mr Curro said “It has been a lengthy, yet necessary process and I’m happy to say there was significant interest while canvassing for nominations”.
“Twenty eight candidates were put forward while taking into consideration the below criteria”.
- Being open minded and able to constructively debate issues;
- Having a successful business or professional profile with their peers (growers, millers).
- Profit Orientated information seekers, with interest in new technology and innovation;
- Recognised leaders in facilitating or trialling and adopting/adapting new technology;
- Have an understanding of costs, key profit drivers and causes of variation in physical and financial performance across businesses in their sector.
Mr Curro advised “A one off selection committee convened to consider the criteria, candidates per geographical area and collectively agreed on the four representatives below to be put forward”.
- Cy Kovacich – Millaroo/Clare/Mulgrave/Upper Haughton
- Ryan Matthews – Northcote/Jardine/Selkirk/Giru
- Ben Nielson – Ayr/Delta
- Eric Barbagallo – Homehill/ Leichhardt
“These grower representatives along with two milling representatives will form the RAAC, with regional and technical expertise brought in when needed for context”.
“The primary aim for this committee is to set the regions priorities, which will be communicated to an industry level through a Burdekin – Adoption Strategy & Workplan”.
This is a chance for growers/members to have input into issues of importance to the industry from a local/regional perspective via your grower representatives. Each year by the end of December and once the strategic priorities have been agreed, the Regional Coordinator will prepare and present a Regional Adoption Strategy for approval by the RAAC. I would encourage members to discuss adoption strategies relevant to our region with your district grower representatives.